The International Baccalaureate® (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) is an assessed programme for students aged 16 to 19. It is respected by leading universities across the globe.
Through the IB Programme, schools are able to develop students who:
- have excellent breadth and depth of knowledge
- flourish physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically
- study at least two languages
- excel in traditional academic subjects
- explore the nature of knowledge through the programme’s unique theory of knowledge course
International research shows that there are many benefits to choosing the DP over other 16-19 curricula. For example:
- IB students are better able than their peers to cope with demanding workloads, manage their time and meet the expectations placed on them, according to one study.
- Analysis of IB students in Canada, the UK and the USA found that the IB’s extended essay improves students’ approach to learning in higher education.
- 72% of students taking the IB in China attend one of the world’s top 500 universities, according to a 2013 study.
International Baccalaureate Courses offered at Damien High School
Area 1: Language and Literature
Language and Literature (HL)
Area 2: Language Acquisition
Language B (SL): Spanish, French, German & Mandarin (HL Option for Spanish)
Language ab initio (SL-online option only for Spanish, French and Mandarin)
Area 3: Individuals and Society
History Route 2: History of the Americas (HL)
IB History SL (HL Year 2)
Additional Options for Area 3:
World Religions (SL)
Area 4: Sciences
IB Physics (SL & HL)
IB Environmental Systems & Societies (SL)
Area 5: Mathematics
Mathematical Studies (SL)
Area 6: Arts
Visual Arts (SL/HL)
Theory of Knowledge